I know what you are thinking – “healthier” and “sweet tooth” can’t go together. While in most cases that is true, there are ways to have your dessert and eat it too. Try these five ways that will tame your sweet tooth dragon, while at the same time keeping you on your healthy eating plan.
1. Fruit. I know, fruit sounds boring, but really it makes a great dessert. Slice up an apple and put a little cinnamon on it. When peaches are in season, slice up a fresh peach and flavor it with a sprinkle of stevia.
2. A square of a dark chocolate bar. To get the benefit of the dark chocolate, it has to contain at least 70% Cocoa. If you really want to spice things up, spread a little almond butter or natural peanut butter on it. Wow, not that is eating healthy!
3. Almond Butter (all natural). Speaking of almond butter, it goes great on a piece of toast, or on crackers. Any yes, if you look at an ingredient label, it has fat in it, but it is the kind of fat good for you. Researchers have found that this fat stays in your body longer than sugar, thus keeping you fuller longer.
4. Banana Soft Serve Ice Cream. This is something you’ll wonder why you didn’t try years ago – it is simple to make and costs almost nothing. Take ripe bananas (the riper the better), peel them and put them in the freezer. When you want some ice cream, put one in your food processor and grind it up until it resembles the texture of ice cream. Add a little peanut or almond butter, cinnamon or cacao bits.
5. Replace ingredients. By replacing an item or two, you can make your favorite recipes a little healthier. For example, instead of using vegetable or canola oil, replace it with applesauce. Here is another favorite – coconut milk icing. First freeze your mixing bowl for about an hour before preparation. At the same time, put a can of coconut milk in the refrigerator. When it is time to make the icing, pour the coconut milk in the mixing bowl and mix for 10 minutes or until it whips up into a fluffy frosting.
With a little thought or researching on the Internet, you can come up with many more ways to make your recipes healthier, but yet still satisfying. Experiment to see what works for you and your family.
P.S. Check out my new complete ketogenic package which has loads of more recipes and ideas to help your ‘sweet tooth’ – Click Here!